Discussion: railway mission blocksReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 25  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next

mag27
railway mission blocks
Sep 30 2009, 7:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 7:36 AM EDT
Has anyone got a photo of the old railway mission?It was only a steel framed church,but people held weddings,dances,and gospel hall services.I was told that the railway workers built the hall themselfs,but I do not know if this is true or not.It was at the bottom of the blocks near Coalgrain terrace. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: Churches
HelenMacGilvray
HelenMacGilvray
1. RE: railway mission blocks
Sep 30 2009, 4:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 4:10 PM EDT
"Has anyone got a photo of the old railway mission?It was only a steel framed church,but people held weddings,dances,and gospel hall services.I was told that the railway workers built the hall themselfs,but I do not know if this is true or not.It was at the bottom of the blocks near Coalgrain terrace."
Sorry Mag don't have a photo but I do remember the railway mission hall. My cousin Nan McLean was married there and so was her younger sister Mary. Mary and Margaret were red haired twins and had a younger sister Sandra. Mary married Archie Currie from Wellfield St. Sadly Sandra is the sole survivor and we lost touch many years ago. Someone will have a photo in an album I'm sure. Good luck. Helen
Do you find this valuable?    

mag27
2. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 1 2009, 4:52 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2009, 4:52 AM EDT
Hi Helen,I used to read the bible,at gospel meeting there.I used to hate going up in front of everyone,and I certainly could not do that today.My aunts Jean and Ina ,and uncle Rab Forrester used to run dances ect at the mission,and I remember the mission with a lot of affection.My mother saw most of the blocks being demolished,and managed to get the number plate of 5 Ratho terrace.I am glad I did not.I cannot even see photo"s of the place with out a bubble,and I feel great anger that they could not manage to save most houses like these in Springburn ,as to give Springburn a wee bit of identity,but we do have happy memories. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
HelenMacGilvray
HelenMacGilvray
3. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 1 2009, 1:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2009, 1:37 PM EDT
"Hi Helen,I used to read the bible,at gospel meeting there.I used to hate going up in front of everyone,and I certainly could not do that today.My aunts Jean and Ina ,and uncle Rab Forrester used to run dances ect at the mission,and I remember the mission with a lot of affection.My mother saw most of the blocks being demolished,and managed to get the number plate of 5 Ratho terrace.I am glad I did not.I cannot even see photo"s of the place with out a bubble,and I feel great anger that they could not manage to save most houses like these in Springburn ,as to give Springburn a wee bit of identity,but we do have happy memories."
Ah, fond memories, my cousins and I used to go to the dances at the mission even though we were very young teenagers at the time. I feel resentment too at the destruction of Springburn in the name of progress - progress for whom? Good luck with your search for photos. Helen

BettyBell
4. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 4 2009, 5:47 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 4 2009, 5:47 AM EDT
Am I missing something here?? I think some of you ffolks are getting a bit mixed up with the Mission and The Hut (The Villa Social Club), it was the Hut that held the dances, weddings etc. they had wee Harmonies there every week or so. I just checked there with my sister who is 10 years older than myself and she says that there was never any dances or weddings at the Mission for as long as she can remember, we both think you are getting mixed up with the Hut, any ways, the Hut was level with Ashvale Row East and The Mission was level with Elmvale Row East. Mr & Mrs Forrester ran the Railway Mission when my Mother was a kid, I am sure I posted a photo of Mrs Forrester, my Mother and a few others, that date would have been around 1920ish. when it was taken. My father too worked in Cowlairs, the only job he had. Carol Davidson, Margaret Forbes and I often stood on the Bridge when the train came. I can still smell that steam. I have very fond memories of the Blocks, how I wish we could go back to the way we were, big sigh!! regards, Betty 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
HelenMacGilvray
HelenMacGilvray
5. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 4 2009, 12:04 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 4 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
"Am I missing something here?? I think some of you ffolks are getting a bit mixed up with the Mission and The Hut (The Villa Social Club), it was the Hut that held the dances, weddings etc. they had wee Harmonies there every week or so. I just checked there with my sister who is 10 years older than myself and she says that there was never any dances or weddings at the Mission for as long as she can remember, we both think you are getting mixed up with the Hut, any ways, the Hut was level with Ashvale Row East and The Mission was level with Elmvale Row East. Mr & Mrs Forrester ran the Railway Mission when my Mother was a kid, I am sure I posted a photo of Mrs Forrester, my Mother and a few others, that date would have been around 1920ish. when it was taken. My father too worked in Cowlairs, the only job he had. Carol Davidson, Margaret Forbes and I often stood on the Bridge when the train came. I can still smell that steam. I have very fond memories of the Blocks, how I wish we could go back to the way we were, big sigh!! regards, Betty"
Aha! you're correct Betty, it was the Hut, as soon as I read your reply the name definitely rang a bell. Not being from the Blocks myself, I can only plead ignorance re the mix-up in names. Thanks for the info. Cheers, Helen.

mag27
6. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 5 2009, 12:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 5 2009, 12:25 PM EDT
Hi Bettybell,You are so right,There were two buildings.The Mr&mrs Forrester,probably would have been one of my aunts,Or my gran,I am not too sure,as my gran had 10 of a family,and she lived in the blocks.I would love to see the photo of mrs Forrester,your mum ect.If it was about 1920 it may have been my gran,her first name was Margaret. Do you find this valuable?    
Jeanmccrae
Jeanmccrae
7. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 5 2009, 12:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 5 2009, 12:40 PM EDT
Hi Betty, I was quite shocked to read that there had been " Dancing in the Mission "...!! was sure that wasnt right. However im sure there must have been a Wedding or two at some point. Think it was George and Jessie Allan who were Superintendants in these days. Lovely folks....but would never have dancing in " The House of the Lord" as they would have said. Glad you cleared that up! LoL...... Great to read all the memories girls. Happy days indeed !!!.....Jean. Do you find this valuable?    

BettyBell
8. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 6 2009, 11:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 6 2009, 11:27 AM EDT
"Hi Bettybell,You are so right,There were two buildings.The Mr&mrs Forrester,probably would have been one of my aunts,Or my gran,I am not too sure,as my gran had 10 of a family,and she lived in the blocks.I would love to see the photo of mrs Forrester,your mum ect.If it was about 1920 it may have been my gran,her first name was Margaret."
Hi Mag27, if you look at page 36 of the Photos, you will see that picture, also one of Mrs Forrester with George and Jessie Allen who helped out with Mrs Forrester and then they took over when Mrs Forrester passed away. I can't remember Mrs Forrester's christian name, she did have a daughter called Chrissie. Regards, Betty

mag27
9. RE: railway mission blocks
Oct 6 2009, 12:59 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 6 2009, 12:59 PM EDT
Hi bettybell,I had a look at your photo,and although the lady certainly looks like a Forrester,you had said that the lady had died,my gran did not die untill1973,and was86 when she died.My gran was married to Henry Forrester who worked at cowlairs,after my gran left Sprinburn,for Dykemuir streetBarlonock,her husband died and she was left to bring10 children up single handed.My uncle David forrester was mc or something for the dances held in the hall in Springburn.So I am a wee bit confused now as my mum used to tell me that my dads family helped out in the railway mission.cheers. mag. Do you find this valuable?    
kellyflora
kellyflora
10. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 4 2009, 1:41 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 4 2009, 1:41 PM EST
"Am I missing something here?? I think some of you ffolks are getting a bit mixed up with the Mission and The Hut (The Villa Social Club), it was the Hut that held the dances, weddings etc. they had wee Harmonies there every week or so. I just checked there with my sister who is 10 years older than myself and she says that there was never any dances or weddings at the Mission for as long as she can remember, we both think you are getting mixed up with the Hut, any ways, the Hut was level with Ashvale Row East and The Mission was level with Elmvale Row East. Mr & Mrs Forrester ran the Railway Mission when my Mother was a kid, I am sure I posted a photo of Mrs Forrester, my Mother and a few others, that date would have been around 1920ish. when it was taken. My father too worked in Cowlairs, the only job he had. Carol Davidson, Margaret Forbes and I often stood on the Bridge when the train came. I can still smell that steam. I have very fond memories of the Blocks, how I wish we could go back to the way we were, big sigh!! regards, Betty"
Hi Betty, I remember running to the bridge that went over to Angus Street when a train passed to catch the smoke ! you mentioned Margaret Forbes she was in my class at Elmvale ~ I met her in Springburn in the late 60's & she told me she was home on holiday from Australia if I remember correctly. Other girls you might know are in my class photo on the site ~ all from The Blocks "= Edie West,, Nan Montieth, Una Macleod, Isobel Sharp, Arlene Lorimer, Ian Macpherson. Margaret Griffen, to name a FEW of the many ! I remember the Railway Hut & the Mission very well......cheers Flora Macdonald
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

BettyBell
11. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 5 2009, 8:14 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 5 2009, 8:14 AM EST
Hi Flora, Margaret is in New Zealand, she was home this summer, but missed out on seeing her. I think Edie West went out to New Zealand? I remember all the girls names you mentioned, I do remember your name too, Margaret"s birthday is the day after mine, she will be 70, me, I will be 68. Margaret Walker and Susan Nelson were in my class at Elmvale, they both lived in Memel Street, wonder what happened to them? Did you know Mary Morrison? she married to my brother Alex (now gone). Did you know Elma Tinline? she lived in Elmvale Street, across from the school, she lives in Niagara Falls, we lived up in Peterborough, Ontario till February,2008. Do you remember when there was a wee harmony or wedding on in the Hut, all us kids outside dancing to the music, the music mainly played by Chic Coffils and his son also named Chic, the father played the Accordian and young Chic played the Drums, they lived at Ashvale Row West, near the Railway. regards, Betty Do you find this valuable?    
kellyflora
kellyflora
12. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 6 2009, 11:42 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2009, 11:42 AM EST
"Hi Flora, Margaret is in New Zealand, she was home this summer, but missed out on seeing her. I think Edie West went out to New Zealand? I remember all the girls names you mentioned, I do remember your name too, Margaret"s birthday is the day after mine, she will be 70, me, I will be 68. Margaret Walker and Susan Nelson were in my class at Elmvale, they both lived in Memel Street, wonder what happened to them? Did you know Mary Morrison? she married to my brother Alex (now gone). Did you know Elma Tinline? she lived in Elmvale Street, across from the school, she lives in Niagara Falls, we lived up in Peterborough, Ontario till February,2008. Do you remember when there was a wee harmony or wedding on in the Hut, all us kids outside dancing to the music, the music mainly played by Chic Coffils and his son also named Chic, the father played the Accordian and young Chic played the Drums, they lived at Ashvale Row West, near the Railway. regards, Betty"
Hi Betty,
it sounds like we moved in the same social circles ! one of my best friends was Edie West ~ Margaret Forbes always wore her hair in pigtails ! my other pal was Gracie Carr (now passed away ) from Memel St ~ her son is married to my oldest daughter ~ her brother Richard Carr was in OUR Fiona on the sites class I think~ he has just re~ married after being a widower for many years ! ~ Elma Tinlin married Gordon Flannigan from Huntington Place & I know them well Gordon went to The Albert when I did ~ ~ My youngest Daughter Fiona lives in Niagara Falls ~ Elma has a sister Catherine & the Tinlins lived beside my sister in Elmvale St ~ also next door to Dennis Herraghty who is on the site !
In fact my daughter had a BIG 70's party a few months ago & I met Elma's cousin Christine ( Tinlin? )who was from Hillkirk Street, do you recall that awful house fire there ? it was her mothers house ~ she is married to Francie Foy & they live in Hamilton, Canada ~ she has brilliant memories of Springburn !
Chic Coffils was a great pal of my dads ~ Gracie's dad Tommy Carr was also a well known accordian player and artist in Springbvurn..
There was an Ian Morrison in my class , he had red hair & is in my class photo from Elmvale ! My sister had a best pal Mary Nelson lived one up in Memel Street at The Blocks end , we lived at Hawthorn end ~ when I was home in October I see they are building new homes where Blackthorn & Hickory St once were ! my side of Memel & my old close is still there !
No wonder all that square area collapsed as it was all built on old mine shafts! mind you the houses lasted a LOT of years !! ( from 1930's ?)
Gosh Betty we sure had the charmed life growing up in Springburn ~ not much money ~ but tons of carefree fun..................great to hear from you !! cheers Flora
kellyflora
kellyflora
13. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 6 2009, 11:44 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2009, 11:44 AM EST
"Hi Betty,
it sounds like we moved in the same social circles ! one of my best friends was Edie West ~ Margaret Forbes always wore her hair in pigtails ! my other pal was Gracie Carr (now passed away ) from Memel St ~ her son is married to my oldest daughter ~ her brother Richard Carr was in OUR Fiona on the sites class I think~ he has just re~ married after being a widower for many years ! ~ Elma Tinlin married Gordon Flannigan from Huntington Place & I know them well Gordon went to The Albert when I did ~ ~ My youngest Daughter Fiona lives in Niagara Falls ~ Elma has a sister Catherine & the Tinlins lived beside my sister in Elmvale St ~ also next door to Dennis Herraghty who is on the site !
In fact my daughter had a BIG 70's party a few months ago & I met Elma's cousin Christine ( Tinlin? )who was from Hillkirk Street, do you recall that awful house fire there ? it was her mothers house ~ she is married to Francie Foy & they live in Hamilton, Canada ~ she has brilliant memories of Springburn !
Chic Coffils was a great pal of my dads ~ Gracie's dad Tommy Carr was also a well known accordian player and artist in Springbvurn..
There was an Ian Morrison in my class , he had red hair & is in my class photo from Elmvale ! My sister had a best pal Mary Nelson lived one up in Memel Street at The Blocks end , we lived at Hawthorn end ~ when I was home in October I see they are building new homes where Blackthorn & Hickory St once were ! my side of Memel & my old close is still there !
No wonder all that square area collapsed as it was all built on old mine shafts! mind you the houses lasted a LOT of years !! ( from 1930's ?)
Gosh Betty we sure had the charmed life growing up in Springburn ~ not much money ~ but tons of carefree fun..................great to hear from you !! cheers Flora"
OOPS ~ sorry I went over the word limit ! these old memories will do that ~ Flora

GordonFlanagan
14. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 30 2009, 7:58 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2009, 7:58 AM EST
"Hi Betty,
Gosh Betty we sure had the charmed life growing up in Springburn ~ not much money ~ but tons of carefree fun..................great to hear from you !! cheers Flora"
Hello Betty Bell & Flora Kelly, How are you both. Elma came across this site by accident. If you must know, she was googling for a Kaline Polltice and as usual, hit the wrong button, so here we are. Elma quickly picked up on the dances in the mission bit. "They didnae hiv dances in the mission, it wis in the wee hut". We have great memories of Springburn, especially our teenage years when we spent a Sunday night walking up and doon Springburn Road looking fur talent. Guess what?, we met each other. That was our entertainment. Nae computers, cell phones, etc. tae interfere wae oor exitement. Elma remembers all the people you mention
Hope you both keep in touch,
Elma and Gordon

Bettysh
15. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 30 2009, 9:23 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2009, 9:23 AM EST
Hello Gordon, what a surprise to see your name on my favourite site. you wont be sorry you've registered. I mentioned your name just a few days ago when I was speaking to another member. We were speaking of my Dad and about the Caley. Hope you and Elma are doing well, we're still here in St. Catharines
I read all the comments about The Blocks, Elmvale St. School and I think maybe I should have lived at the top end of Springburn where all the action was although I did walk up and down Springburn Road just like everyone else did during my teen years. Have fun meeting up with all your old chums Betty

BettyBell
16. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 30 2009, 10:26 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2009, 10:26 AM EST
Hi Gordon & Elma, welcome to the site, how are you both doing? I haved been meaning to call you, I'll just do that now, Regards, Betty Do you find this valuable?    
kellyflora
kellyflora
17. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 30 2009, 1:36 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2009, 1:36 PM EST
"Hello Betty Bell & Flora Kelly, How are you both. Elma came across this site by accident. If you must know, she was googling for a Kaline Polltice and as usual, hit the wrong button, so here we are. Elma quickly picked up on the dances in the mission bit. "They didnae hiv dances in the mission, it wis in the wee hut". We have great memories of Springburn, especially our teenage years when we spent a Sunday night walking up and doon Springburn Road looking fur talent. Guess what?, we met each other. That was our entertainment. Nae computers, cell phones, etc. tae interfere wae oor exitement. Elma remembers all the people you mention
Hope you both keep in touch,
Elma and Gordon"
Hello Gordon & Elma,
Good to hear from you ~ a while ago on the site someone was speaking about Huntington Place I mentioned you had lived there as well as Jackie Hopkins who was a pal of mine many moons ago !
gave Elma's cousin Christine a photos at my daughters party in the summer ~ I think the OLD photo may have been Elma's dad with mine & a guy called Robertson in front of Elmvale School ~ In the 30's there was a Ropeworks there where my dad worked ~before the houses were built and where Elma's family later lived ! if you did not get the OLD photo it is on the site Elma.
Gordon have you a school photo from the Albert ? my pal Gracie Carr was in your class ~ I was in an all girls class ~ LOTS of chat on the site about teachers etc at the Albert & Victoria Academy !! but never saw any of you & Gracie's class.
You will have hours of enjoyment and great memories on "Reminiscense "
Yes we walked up one side of Springburn Road & down the other ~ from The Boundry Bar to Keppochhill Road usually stopped on the way back for a hot drink ! ~ and of course who can forget the dances at The Public Halls ? & hopefully a date for the Princes around the corner !...............cheers
archiedal
archiedal
18. RE: railway mission blocks
Nov 30 2009, 2:03 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2009, 2:03 PM EST
Hi Mag27, what number Dykemuir street did your gran stay, there was a Forrester family lived next door to my gran who lived in 152, so that would be 156 or 158, I can only remember two names George and Ina, were they related to you. Do you find this valuable?    

GordonFlanagan
19. RE: railway mission blocks
Dec 1 2009, 5:22 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 1 2009, 5:22 PM EST
"Hi Gordon & Elma, welcome to the site, how are you both doing? I haved been meaning to call you, I'll just do that now, Regards, Betty"
Hello Betty, You were as good as your word. Within an hour , a phone call from Bonnie Scotland. It was great to talk to you and Brian after all this time. Remember the night at your place in Peterborough when we started talkiing about the railway mission, and spent a long time singing the choruses. Deep and Wide, Climb ,climb up sunshine mountain, etc, etc.complete with the actions of course. Nae merr o that wine fur us. Amazing that you can remember a' the words after more than 60 years. Betty, ye've got some memory, are ye sure you're no a hundred years auld
Elma and Gordon
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)